It’s recommended that teenage girls begin seeing a gynecologist between the ages of 13 and 15. While there aren’t many health risks threatening young girls, it’s important for them to get into the habit of meeting with a gynecologist regularly and receiving routine exams. It’s also a great opportunity to discuss any potential issues and ask necessary questions. If you’re looking for the best doctor to handle your child’s gynecological check-up in The Woodlands, here are a few things to consider.
- Finding someone your daughter feels comfortable with is key. One of the main reasons it’s recommended that teenage girls begin seeing a gynecologist at such a young age is so that they can build a relationship with someone that they trust. The right gynecologist can be a great resource to your child as she grows.
- Ask for recommendations and check reviews. Talking with friends about who they trust with their children’s gynecological care is a great way to find trustworthy physicians. Once you have a few referrals, take to the internet and see what other patients are saying about their experiences. Pay special attention to any doctors that specialize in treating teenagers.
- Speak to your child about her expectations. Your daughter is probably feeling a little bit nervous about their first visit to the gynecologist. Before you choose a doctor or schedule an appointment, sit down with your daughter and ask her what she’s looking for in a physician. If she prefers a female physician, that’s important to know beforehand. Allowing your daughter to be included in the process will help her to feel more at ease in her first appointment.
- Choose a physician who has experience with teenagers. Many gynecologists are also obstetricians. They may specialize in the care of mothers or older women. It’s important that you find a physician that has experience with younger girls. It takes a different kind of bedside manner in order to connect with teenagers. Finding someone who relates well to your child is the best way to ensure a positive experience.
- Prepare your child for her first examination. Gynecological appointments are important. But if your child isn’t prepared for their first appointment, she may leave feeling embarrassed or upset. It’s important to explain to your daughter what will happen during the examination. While a typical physical will occur, a pelvic exam may also be necessary. Preparing your daughter for these examinations beforehand will make her feel more comfortable once she’s in the office. It also reduces her chances of skipping subsequent appointments.
- Listen to your daughter. After your child’s appointment, sit down with her again. If she didn’t feel comfortable with the doctor or there were any concerns, pay attention. It’s important that your daughter builds a relationship with her gynecologist. If needed, switch to a different physician. With the right doctor on your side, your daughter has a better chance at maintaining her health throughout the years.
Finding the right gynecologist for teens in The Woodlands is important. With a friendly and trustworthy doctor on your side, both you and your child will feel more comfortable with the first appointment and every appointment after that.