Painful intercourse often causes problems in a couple’s sexual relationship. In addition to the painful physical toll, there is often a negative emotional effect, so Dr. Rania Ibrahim advises that the problem should be addressed as soon as it happens.
Causes of Painful Intercourse
In many instances, a woman can experience painful intercourse if the vagina is not sufficiently lubricated. When this happens, the pain can be lessened if the female relaxes more, the amount of foreplay is extended, or if the couple uses a lubricant.
According to your OB-GYN, a woman can experience painful intercourse if she has one of the following:
- Vaginismus is a relatively common condition brought on by a fear of being hurt that creates an unintentional spasm in the vaginal muscles.
- Vaginal infections such as yeast infections are also common.
- Problems with the opening to the uterus occur during maximum penetration in which the penis comes in contact with the cervix, resulting in pain.
- Uterine problems can consist of fibroids that can result in painful intercourse.
- Endometriosis results when the tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus.
- Problems with the ovaries, including ovarian cysts.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) occurs when the tissues located deep inside the pelvic region become badly swollen, causing painful intercourse.
- Ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg grows outside the uterus.
- Menopause sometimes causes the vaginal lining to dry out.
- Intercourse following surgery or childbirth can be painful.
- Sexually transmitted diseases, some of which herpes sores, genital warts or other STDs.
- Vaginal injuries as a result of childbirth.
If you are experiencing painful intercourse and need a caring and experienced OB-GYN then call the professional and caring staff at New Beginnings OB-GYN under the direction of Dr. Rania Ibrahim in The Woodlands, TX.
Don’t wait – call us today at (936) 441-8635 to schedule your confidential consultation.
Are you looking for an ObGyn in Conroe TX?
Dr. Rania Ibrahim is an Obstetrician and Gynecologist with a Medical Practice located in Montgomery County, serving patients in Conroe, The Woodlands, Spring and Magnolia, Texas. New Beginnings Ob/Gyn offers many services including Prenatal care, treatment of hot flashes and menopause symptoms, treatment of endometriosis and painful periods, uterine ablation, routine well women exams, infertility treatment, as well as treatments of urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
You can work together from the initial consultation to the implementation of your own personal birth plan, and follow-up. Dr. Rania Ibrahim has enormous experience in high risk obstetrics. She is a skilled surgeon and has an excellent and caring team.
Dr. Rania Ibrahim is sympathetic to the needs of women. She specializes in minimally invasive surgery and performs robotic (DaVinci) assisted myomectomies and hysterectomies.
New Beginnings OB-GYN proudly serves the residents of Montgomery County, Conroe, The Woodlands, Spring, and Magnolia, Texas.
Note: Hospital deliveries and procedures are conveniently offered at Conroe Regional Medical Center, CHI-St Luke’s-The Woodlands, and Memorial Hermann Medical Center-The Woodlands